The excavator was delivered three days ago. We spent all of yesterday and today working on getting the house built. We finally got the ground fairly level and added the second driveway that goes to the house (this will be our main driveway). We realized after we had put in the original driveway that it wasn’t convenient for our disabled son to use. That driveway will be the guest driveway. We also leveled out the ground that will be the back patio. It looks amazing. We did a lot of work.
On our way to lunch I called the gravel guys to see if we could get gravel sometime in the next 24 hours. Three hours later we had 40+ tons of gravel at the bottom of our guest driveway. We tried to get it all the way down our new one to the actual house but the ground was too soft.
Now in the next 24 hours we have to move the gravel to the hole, level the gravel, have more gravel delivered to the soft parts of the driveway so the concrete trucks can get down to the hole, and call the concrete guys to see if someone can come out and see what the best way would be to deliver the concrete.
The next few days will be spent preparing for the concrete pour. Aaaand we will officially be doing our first “old fashion barn raising” call. Hopefully, if all goes right our plan is to be pouring the concrete in one pour hopefully next Thursday (but this is yet to be confirmed). We need about 8 people to help with the pour in order to do it all at once. If you want to help please let us know however once the date is confirmed and you say you can come we need to be sure you will actually be coming. We cannot have people say they will come and then not show up or we will be out a lot of money. I am tired, sore, nervous, and a bit scared. This is the part of the house build that has me really nervous. However, once this is done we can start on the tires!!! Wow, things move fast when they move.
We plowed 2 garden plots this year. Next year we will plow the third and make the others bigger. It’s a slow growth. The first garden plot is the same as last year but twice as big. This will be our root and squash garden. We won’t be ready to save seeds until the house is finished so we aren’t concerned about cross pollination yet.
The rain finally let up enough for the ground to dry. Thanks to some Awesome friends we were able to get a tiller out and finish the first garden. Next week we are finishing the second garden. After plowing and then tilling the soil is so much softer than it was last year. Next year we hope to get some sand and compost plowed into it too, but that wasn’t in the budget this year. The plot is about 35 feet X 90 feet. It’s a pretty good size but not super huge. We are happy with it.
Yesterday we went out and planted our 35′ rows. We didn’t get it all done, but darn near close to it. We did get 1 row of sweet potatoes, 2 rows of red potatoes, 2 rows of regular potatoes, 2 rows of onions, 2 rows of carrots, a row of beets and kohlrabi, 4 rows of peanuts, a row of acorn squash, and a row of spaghetti squash. If we can get out early enough and it isn’t raining we can get the last bit finished.
After several weeks of not feeling like we are progressing this is what I needed to feel a lot better. The next plot isn’t as manditory to get done ASAP except for the direct sow plants. We need our yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, corn, and beans in the ground before the end of next week.
It’s been way too long since I have posted. Everything is at a standstill. We finally have the garden plots plowed but we haven’t tilled them yet. First someone stole our tiller. Then we were able to borrow our friends tiller but it hasn’t stopped raining long enough formthenground to be dry enough to till. Nothing is in the ground but asparagus, lettuce, and spinach. The asparagus has been a constant battle because there is a very large raccoon that continues to dig it up every night.
Then there is the house. Once again the rain is an issue but aside from that we have been waiting a month and a half for an excavator to be delivered. I am calling today to get quotes from other people to see if it is worth it just to get it from someone else. We have to figure out which one is a limiting factor, money or time. It’s very irritating.
Next is the chickens. We are currently down to seven. We lost half of them in the hail storm a few weeks ago. I wasn’t home when it happened and by the time I got home half of them had died. Then one night a raccoon got four of them and we have had 2-3 die randomly. Which leaves us with 7. They are doing well though. We out the dogs out every night to protect them and try are actually doing their job. That’s nice.
Lastly the bees. The bees are the best part. We made the mistake of leaving the feeder on top of the hive for the first week. They pulled comb in that instead of the actual hive. We pulled that out and put some of it in the hive. They didn’t like that so they left. We saw them leave so C fixed the hive so it was better for them, put on his bee suit, went back and collected them, and put them back in the hive. They are now extremely happy. They are laying brood and have pulled at least 4 frames in the first brood box. We are happy, the are happy, so at least we feel that one thing is successful.