It’s fixed…sort of

After 3 days of working on the house for 5-6 hours each day we have fixed the problem an the wall is now level again. We still have to replace the 34 tires we lost and concrete the bottom layer, but we should be ready to start filling tires again in the next week or so. This still puts us somewhat back on schedule!  I am feeling quite a bit better. Don’t get me wrong, it still totally sucks, but it wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been. 



I am very much looking forward to packing the tires once again. 

We also discovered a massive mud slide on the back end of the house. It goes up to the bottom of the third row of tires. We will have to dig some of the out, but it does save us some time on back filling there. 

Setbacks

To every project there are setbacks, and to every MAJOR project there are MAJOR setbacks. 

The monsoon of 2016/2017 has claimed a victim. We had to make a major decision going into the winter: Spend : $1000 to backfill the wall earlier than anticipated, meaning we would have to rent the backhoe 3 times instead of 2 (an extra $1000) or wait it out and hope or the best. We should have spent the extra $1000. 

The monsoon caused the bottom layer of tires to be completely flooded. The washed out some of the dirt which made the wall unstable. 


This caused one part of the wall to collapse. 



At this point we have lost almost 35 tires that’s not terrible and we think we can get this fixed before the end of February. 

If we had put in the water barrier and back filled the wall wouldn’t have collapsed. Advice for next time: spend the extra money.